Gelsemium (aka woodbine) is Poison to Dogs


Gelsemium is a highly poisonous plant that’s mistakenly used to treat minor aches and pains, as well as calm fearful dogs. Despite its use in homeopathic circles, it is not recommended to ever treat your dog with gelsemium. Contact your veterinarian if your dog comes in contact with gelsemium, as the plant is highly poisonous and, in some doses, it can be fatal.

Symptoms of Gelsemium Poisoning

Gelsemium, sometimes referred to as woodbine, is quite toxic. Sometimes, the root and underground stem are thought to be safe for medicinal use, but this is untrue. All parts of gelsemium are poisonous. In dogs, a 0.0005 to 0.001 mg/g dose of gelsemium can be fatal. Symptoms of gelsemium poisoning include: difficulty swallowing, dizziness, seizures, breathing problems, vision problems, headaches, slowing of the heart, and more. If you suspect your dog has come in contact with gelsemium contact your veterinarian right away.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *